What's so "hard" about the X-series cameras?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
travelwest
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
What's so "hard" about the X-series cameras?
11 months ago

I've been shooting DSLRs for the last few years. I currently have a D7000 that I'm considering only using for telephoto work, and getting a X100S (MAYBE a X-E2) for wider angle work (which is mostly what I shoot). I've read tons of reviews and some forum posts, and a common theme I'm reading is the X-series "learning curve". I've even seen some describe it as "difficult at first".

Can someone enlighten me about this so-called learning curve/difficulty? I normally shoot aperture priority, so it seems I would set it to that, frame, focus, and fire. Same as any camera, no?

I also read a review that reminded the reader that the X100S is not a P&S camera. My first thought was, "yeah, duh, it costs 6 times as much". But then I realized the reviewer wasn't talking about cost. He was talking about just using the camera, like someone couldn't hypothetically use it as a P&S (which doesn't sound right to me). I don't personally want to use it as a P&S, but am just pointing this out as another example of someone referring to this camera as moderately difficult to learn and use.

Other than the obvious difference in size, weight, and menu/button layout from my D7K, what will be the "learning curve" for me to use the X100S?

travelwest's gear list:travelwest's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow