Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
afragisk
Regular MemberPosts: 477
Like?
Weird off camera flash behavior
3 months ago

I am testing the EF-X20 off camera with the Fuji 23mm and the Canon 50 1.2L with speedbooster, both on the XE-2. The flash is in commander mode and the only difference between the two setups is that the canon is set to manual focus and "shoot without lens" is on (ISO and speed are manually set to same values for both setups and not automatic). The 23mm is set to f/1.6 whereby the canon is set to f/2.4, which along with the speedbooster allows it to get as much light per surface unit as the 1.4. Note that the camera has no idea what the aperture is with the canon lens and shows as 1.0 - maybe it perceives it to be 1.0, not sure.

With the Fuji 23mm on and the EF-X20 hidden so that it doesn't fire, the built in flash hardly affects the image - I'd say it adds about 1 stop. With the Canon 50mm on however, the built in flash is way stronger and adds several stops of light. In both cases, the EF-X20 does fire and does make a difference once it's not hidden, but that difference is pretty small in the Canon case where the built in flash has already added a lot of light.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior ? I can't seem to be able to scale the built in flash down, even when setting flash compensation to -2.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollonas/
Fuji XE-2, Canon FD 50 1.2L + SB, Fuji 27mm 2.8, Fuji 23mm 1.4, Bower 8mm 2.8

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow