Honestly puzzled (vision, colors, light) What do you see?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Honestly puzzled (vision, colors, light) What do you see?
11 months ago

It's been a few times now that I've read things like "white is white" or "even if it's yellow our brain tells it's white because we know it's white".

Ken Rockwell, for example, writes:

"The camera will accentuate these differences between tungsten, fluorescent, sodium and metal halide light which are invisible to our eyes."

I don't understand. I'm honestly slightly confused. I agree that a camera can sometimes exaggerate the differences a little bit, but invisible to our eyes?

We have CFLs in our livingroom and our kitchen, and I can even see the difference in color between the two. The ones in the living room are reddish yellow with a slight hue of green (the green is harder to see, the yellow is in-your-face-obvious), and the ones in the kitchen are slightly less reddish yellow and appear more white. The fluorescent lamps I buy can give out blue or green light, in stores I've noticed a lot more yellow fluorescents.

When I look at a white thing in tungsten light, it doesn't appear white to me. It appears pinkish-yellowish that my brain tells me "that's white". Tells me, doesn't make me see things.
And sodium? Surely everyone can see sodium, I don't think there is an animal that sees that light as white. I was reading KR's website when I came across that sentence. When I made this thread, I noticed the "Ken Rockwell's vision" thread below. I don't know if he has cataracts, from what I've read so far it seems he just likes rich colors and a high amount of color saturation, but I'm wondering how well he sees color if he can't see the rather obvious colors of different types of lights?

Who's in the minority here? What do you see?

Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow