Family trip. Sigma 18-250 Maro for my D90 or Nikon P520 bridge camera?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
munchmeister
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?
Family trip. Sigma 18-250 Maro for my D90 or Nikon P520 bridge camera?
6 months ago

I'm going on a trip to Miami Beach with family including my 2.5 y.o grandson, who I will be caring for while Mom & Dad are at some business meetings. Needless to say I'll be busy babysitting but also want to take pictures of him. As a longtime DSLR user with a D90, I'm thinking of getting the Sigma 18-250 3.5 w/ macro for a one lens solution, but also considering the Nikon P520 superzom, with 47x zoom in a relatively compact bridge camera. I've used a Lumix bridge camera before & gotten some good pics but, of course, a D90 rocks in comparison. The Sigma gets good reviews for being light & capable & the price for either is about the same. I know the 47x zoom is comparable to 1000mm, but that's maybe more than needed, especially handheld, with an f/3.0 lens at the widest aperture. It is smaller, lighter & has some cool features such as the  articulating LCD, 'easy panorama', & better video than the D90. Maybe even better low light perfomance at high ISO, which is NOT a strength of the D90, especially in 2014. But, I love my D90 & the photos I get with it & the Sigma would make for a nice one lens solution while I am chasing my young pal around the beach.

What am I not thinking of here? I'll eventually make a decision, just wondering if there is some aspect of this choice I'm not thinking of??

TIA

munchmeister's gear list:munchmeister's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +12 more
Nikon Coolpix P520 Nikon D90 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow