Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dickg1
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
Shutter Shock - Size DOES Matter!
7 months ago

OK - for openers, I'm not going to throw more fuel on the fire by getting into this raging debate, "is it real or it imagined".  What I do hope to do is recount some recent experiences in an effort to at least clarify, if not provide some real insight into the phenomenon.

Despite the "disastrous" review of the new Panny 14-140 by SLR Gear, I went ahead and bought it anyway as a travel lens.  That review as well as subsequent "shutter shock" threads on this forum led me to do some testing for myself.  Sparing you the gory details, the test was done on my G5 body and again on a G6 body.  The only variable that changed was that each aperture/shutter speed/focal length combination was shot, first with the mechanical shutter and then with the electronic shutter. All images were taken on a tripod with stabilization turned off.

The difference in sharpness between the mechanical and electronic shutter images when viewed side by side at 100% magnification was substantial, particularly at the longer focal lengths.  Undeterred, I then resigned myself to taking most of my pictures with the electronic shutter set as the default.

Is there a point to this story? Yeah, there is - read on....

A couple of days ago, I had the opportunity to use a GH3 with a battery grip for the weekend.  I went out shooting with it using both the 14-140 as well as my 100-300.  I really enjoyed using the camera, and even though it was considerably heavier & larger than my other bodies, I was impressed with the sharpness results.

Before I had to return the camera, I decided to run a series of controlled tests to see if the mass and weight of this body had any meaningful effect on "shutter shock".  Using the same setup described above, I shot mechanical & electronic shutter exposures at 18, 25, 50, 70, 100 & 140mm.  At each focal length, I exposed for 1/30, 1/50, 1/80, 1/125, 1/250, & 1/500th.

With the exception of 1/30 & 1/50th at 100 & 140mm, There was virtually no difference in sharpness between the mechanical and electronic shutter exposures when viewed side by side at 100% magnification.  Even those four combinations at 100 & 140mm were almost "too close to call".

Being a "glutton for punishment", I repeated the entire series of tests with the battery grip removed.  For all intents and purposes, the results were pretty much the same.

I will leave it up to you to draw your own conclusions.

dickg1

BTW, I have just ordered a GH3 & battery grip

dickg1's gear list:dickg1's gear list
RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow