Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Super486
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
70D Dynamic Range is actually great, despite what DXOMark says
11 months ago

I'm considering 70D as a sports, birding and video camera. I know D7100 sensor gets noticeably better ratings on DxoMark, especially in DR. This is repeated on the forums: Canon has poor DR. I don't know about older models, but I was curious to test by myself if the new 70D actually is lacking DR, so downloaded some raw samples with deep shadows, from two reviews I found on the net, and played with them in Raw Therapee. I tried to push them hard, challenging the supossedly lacking DR of the 70D.

Well, the actual results surprised me. I was expecting a ugly mess of blotchy noise, banding, pattern noise, but couldn't see it at all. Sure, the D7100 must be cleaner, and there is some color noise in the shadows, but it cleans up very well and is fine grained. Not a problem at all, at least to me.

Keep in mind these are three +4 EV and one +5 EV liftings, therefore extreme examples:

The overall picture with all exposure adjustments set to 0, a dark 100% crop, then shadow-lifted 100% crop (with some sharpening and color NR).

Overall picture

100% crop, +0 EV

100% crop, +4 EV

Overall picture

100% crop, +0 EV

100% crop, +4 EV

Overall picture

100% crop, +0 EV

100% crop, +5 EV

Overall picture

100% crop, +0 EV

100% crop, +4 EV

What do you think folks? This is great for such a DR-limited sensor, isn't it?

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow