Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to sgoldswo, 11 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

The Df is a special camera with amazing image quality, there's no question about that. The two areas in which you'll notice a big difference in image quality vs the E-M5 are dynamic range and high ISO image quality. It is often repeated by FF advocates that the results from larger sensors have a more 3 dimensional quality to them. I happen to agree with that analysis - 16mp on a FF sensor is often more clearly resolved than 16mp on a smaller sensor.

The trade off is larger lenses and a heavier body as well as price.

If you buy gray market check the warranty policies and what you are required to do re customs duties. I've personally had a good experience buying cameras from Digitalrev in Hong Kong. They offer a warranty covering the product and their prices include customs and VAT, so if the difference is significant it can be worth buying via them.

tkelly11 wrote:

Hi there, I realise the Df is a polarising camera but I was looking for some sensible advice from you guys and girls on this forum. Basically I have been happily using an Olympus EM5 the past few years and have been delighted with the results (you can see the types of stuff I take here for reference - http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/). I like having a camera you can easily pop in a bag and isnt heavy enough to really notice it.

Now i realise m43 is a compromise that I have been up to this point quite happy with. However at a recent evening event a friend was taking some pics with his Canon 6D in low light with a 50mm 1.8 and the "look" of the image had a sort of magic to it. I love nice people pictures and it really got me thinking about FF. But I have never found the look of modern DSLR's attractive and feel they lack any character. I realise many wont care about this, but for some reason, probably from growing up using my father's cameras in the 80's and 90's, I find myself drawn to "retro" cameras as I find the emotional connection with the camera itself is almost as important as the images it takes (within reason). With that in mind, if I want the magic of FF but dont want the modern design that I dont enjoy, the only camera that ticks the boxes is the Df coupled with a few primes.

One of people's biggest complaints, particularly here in the UK is the price. At £2749.99 its a bit excessive particularly when compared to the US, where you basically just swap the pound sign for the dollar sign (plus tax). However I have noticed the likes of Panamoz and DigitalRev are selling body only for around £1670-1800 which sounds far more reasonable compared with the cost of a D610 (I realise these are grey imports but would be willing to take the risk for a saving of £1k+). But I have been pondering this decision at length so thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts. If the price was only 20%ish more for a Df over a D610, would that be more acceptable to make the Df an attractive prospect?

Will I see a noticeable increase in IQ across the board by going FF or will it only be in certain situations, low light for example? I have a wedding in Cape Town in March that I am attending so was thinking it would be a lot of fun to take to that.

As mentioned earlier in the post, for reference, my website shows the type of stuff I get - http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/

Be great to hear what you guys that have a Df or other FX camera would think about such a thing.

Thanks you,

Tom

-- hide signature --

Thanks sgoldsw, I actually managed to get a go of one at Greys of Westminster today. I think its probably the only place in London that seems to have one on display! Really impressed with it and apparently their price has just dropped to £2495 which is starting to sound more reasonable. Still doesn't compare with Panamoz at £1624 though...

-- hide signature --
 tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow