Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ken Croft
Contributing MemberPosts: 684Gear list
Like?
SX50 strange effect from DNG conversion
10 months ago

Here is an image taken on my SX50 as a jpg and raw. All images were originally 4000x3000. One version is the original jpg, one is a jpg converted from raw using Canon DPP, and one is a jpg from the raw file first converted to DNG and then to jpg in Photoshop. Strangely the conversion from DNG shows a larger field of view but with vignetting of the left corners, yet it was still 4000x3000.  Although it is not much use because the corners are a problem, it could be of marginal use if top and bottom of the DNG/jpg image were to be cropped, leaving a wider than otherwise image. Has anyone else noticed this strange effect?

I believe it is caused by the fact that although DPP corrects for severe barrel distortion in the raw image, the DNG file is uncorrected and actually will show severe distortion, though not apparent in landscape images like this one

[As an incidental comment, it does look as if my lens is not centered, otherwise all four corners would show the effect and not just the left two.]

Original jpg image

jpg image converted from raw in DPP

jpg image from canon raw converted first to DNG is significantly wider

Ken from the UK now in France

Ken Croft's gear list:Ken Croft's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow