Image Library software - suggestions needed

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
uniball
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
Re: Image Library software - suggestions needed
In reply to OberstE, 3 months ago

My guess is the size of whatever library app you decide on will be determined by the preview size you choose to use. At the same preview size, they will all be about the same size. My Aperture library is 25,000 images, preview size is 1920x1280, library size is 34 gig. That could easily be reduced to a small fraction of 34 gig by lowering the preview size.

I don't understand your issue with PM. I have over 50,000 images on my external. It takes no time at all to open PM, point it at the drive, it instantly shows the structure and double-clicking on any folder almost instantly shows the previews. That's on an ancient 2008 iMac, FW2, 5,600 rpm externals.  PM only needs to "read" the contents of the folder you choose. How long it takes to open the folder is a function of how many photos are in it. I'd take a look at just what you're doing. Are your externals asleep?

I suspect if PM is not doing the job, you will be hard pressed to find any other app that will do better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow