Primes VS zooms, I noticed there is some stuff that isn't mentioned.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kittenrainbow
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Primes VS zooms, I noticed there is some stuff that isn't mentioned.
6 months ago

Lens hoods: Lens hoods designed for a specific focal length are going to be better tailored to that lens and focal length. It is going to protect the lens better,  not just from light coming from undesirable angle, it is going to be a better bumper. This doesn't apply to all zoom vs primes (namely Nikon and Canon's 24-70 f/2.8 lenses) arguments but it is usually a sure bet, a hood designed for one focal length is going to be adequate.

Brighter viewfinder: Noticed, when you put a slow lens on F/3.5 or smaller aperture, your view finder starts to get darker?  f/2.8 zooms are nice and bright, and of course any thing with a larger aperture is going to be just as good.

Minimal focusing distance (MFD): I have noticed over the years of photography and being a gear whore.  I have find that primes have better quality when it comes their MFD vs zooms, especially wide open. Perhaps there are some exceptions to this, but I honesty have not find them.

Fun factor/More satisfying: Prime lenses are more fun, and and more satisfying when you get a that shot. It is also a much better learn off of.  Okay, maybe not everyone will agree to this point but it is not mentioned much, and some of us photographers have forgotten how much nicer it is just to simplify are gear; and I do not mean by buying smaller gear.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow