Does Nvidia 3D Functionality Work with Any 3D TV?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hyote
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Does Nvidia 3D Functionality Work with Any 3D TV?
11 months ago

Howdy,

I've had a Fuji W3D for years (And assorted Loreos before that, all the way back to the early 1990s), and I'm finally getting around to setting up a 3D monitor. My brother gave me his Sony PS3 monitor, and although it's far from perfect, I think it could be usable.

I was able to get the monitor to display 3D photos and videos with the Fuji connected directly via HDMI. So far so good.

Then I attached the HDMI cable from the PS3 to my Lenovo laptop. I was hoping to display W3D content in the Fuji MyFinePix Studio. No luck. Looks like either the laptop or the app can't make the PS3 monitor recognize any 3D content. Not really surprising, for a laptop I guess.

Then I tried to see if my desktop machine could handle 3D. It's a homebuilt based on a Core2Quad with 8G of RAM, and for a video card, an Nvidia GeForce 9600GT. That card is old enough that Nvidia doesn't directly list whether or not it can support their "3D Vision 2" spec or not. I see them trying to sell their own Nvidia 3D glasses and so forth, and they never mention the PS3 monitor in their list of supported equipment.

So my question is, what do I need to make the PS3 display MPO pics and 3D movies? If I attach the PS3 monitor to my desktop, will it work as-is, or do I need to buy Nvidia glasses?

Thanks for any help.

Hyote

Hyote's gear list:Hyote's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow