Should I buy a SquareTrade warranty for a D300 purchased from eBay or take my chances?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KSeeK
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Should I buy a SquareTrade warranty for a D300 purchased from eBay or take my chances?
9 months ago

Howdy. I'm the delighted second owner of a very gently used D300. (Honeymoon here. It arrived in its original box with everything originally in that box when it was new, had 12,500 clicks, and a couple choice Nikon accessories).

I have a couple weeks left to decide whether or not to buy a warranty from SquareTrade via eBay.

My first reaction was: no brainer. Pay $100+ for the two year warranty which assures me that I at least get to enjoy two years with this camera or that I get my money back if it can't be repaired.

On the other hand, this camera has done just fine so far, so maybe I would just be tossing money away? I don't have much disposable income (at least now that I've adopted a new camera -- OMG all that stuff adds up). So now I've been searching for examples of out of warranty repair costs incurred for the D300, trying to get an idea of the likelihood of something going bad and the sorts of things that do bad, but am not seeing much.

May I trouble the group for some input about the mechanical reliability of this camera at this stage in its life?

Would you pay for a two year warranty?

-- hide signature --

First DPR post, so here's my intro/thank you: I've read DPR reviews and forums off and on for years, but only recently started reading this pro dx forum. Thank you all for being such a smart, generous, and talented group. I have particularly enjoyed the posts that show off the capabilities of these "older" cameras in experienced hands. A recent D200 thread of that type was awe inspiring.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D200 Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow