PIX 2015

Help, did I screw up my sensor?

Started Jan 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Contributing MemberPosts: 858Gear list
Re: Help, did I screw up my sensor?
In reply to mactac, Jan 21, 2014

There are several previous very good threads regarding sensor cleaning. It sounds like you may have simply stopped half way to getting a good result.

Some suggestions

• Use only products specifically designed to clean a sensor. You can push "firmly" on a sensor using a proper product.  OTOH, "Scratched sensor" threads often start with something like "I used a Q-tip and some lens cleaning fluid......."  
  • Sweep once only with each side of a clean swab.   
  • Only sweep in one direction.  Push dust off the sensor, not back and forth.
  • Consider Copper Hill products.  Good prices, great and informative web site and a lot of happy users.   

My personal wet cleaning routine FWIW.  I put this out only as an example of what can work. I am sure others have routines that are better.  This works well for me.

Follow all the "rules" re freshly charged battery, dust free environment etc.

Remove loose dust

• Blow loose dust off sensor with a rocket blower. Point the camera down so dust falls out of the camera.
  • I personally haven't found that a sensor brush improves much on the results with a Rocket blower only, but YMMV. 

Wet clean sensor

• Put 2-3 drops of eclipse on a clean swab.
  • Sweep L to R once across the top of the sensor. 
  • Flip the swab and sweep L to R once across the bottom of the sensor.  (Always in same direction)
  • Change to a clean swab with 2-3 drops of eclipse.  Sweep top to bottom on L of the sensor. 
  • Flip the swab and sweep top to bottom on R of sensor. 

Examine the results with a loupe.

• If there are a lot of spots left, repeat the wet clean completely. 
  • Usually there there are only only a few dust particles left behind.  Remove these with a loupe + sensor pen.  

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

RickD's gear list:RickD's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow