Help, did I screw up my sensor?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
RickD
Contributing MemberPosts: 816Gear list
Like?
Re: Help, did I screw up my sensor?
In reply to mactac, 6 months ago

There are several previous very good threads regarding sensor cleaning. It sounds like you may have simply stopped half way to getting a good result.

Some suggestions

• Use only products specifically designed to clean a sensor. You can push "firmly" on a sensor using a proper product.  OTOH, "Scratched sensor" threads often start with something like "I used a Q-tip and some lens cleaning fluid......."  
  • Sweep once only with each side of a clean swab.   
  • Only sweep in one direction.  Push dust off the sensor, not back and forth.
  • Consider Copper Hill products.  Good prices, great and informative web site and a lot of happy users.   

My personal wet cleaning routine FWIW.  I put this out only as an example of what can work. I am sure others have routines that are better.  This works well for me.

Follow all the "rules" re freshly charged battery, dust free environment etc.

Remove loose dust

• Blow loose dust off sensor with a rocket blower. Point the camera down so dust falls out of the camera.
  • I personally haven't found that a sensor brush improves much on the results with a Rocket blower only, but YMMV. 

Wet clean sensor

• Put 2-3 drops of eclipse on a clean swab.
  • Sweep L to R once across the top of the sensor. 
  • Flip the swab and sweep L to R once across the bottom of the sensor.  (Always in same direction)
  • Change to a clean swab with 2-3 drops of eclipse.  Sweep top to bottom on L of the sensor. 
  • Flip the swab and sweep top to bottom on R of sensor. 

Examine the results with a loupe.

• If there are a lot of spots left, repeat the wet clean completely. 
  • Usually there there are only only a few dust particles left behind.  Remove these with a loupe + sensor pen.  

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

RickD

RickD's gear list:RickD's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow