Humanoid
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,462Gear list
Like?
Re: Want to do a wet sensor clean myself
In reply to Stuart001, 9 months ago

Stuart001 wrote:

mactac wrote:

Rservello wrote

Are you using a rocket blower and a charged brush? That should remove any residual dust.

No charged brush, just the blower.

Rservell is right. There is a three step system and it is the reason why the whole process takes a while. The idea is to always start with the least intrusive step and work up to a wet clean which may only be needed every second or third time you clean the sensor. The cleanliness of the sensor is dependent on many factors, including the camera itself, how many times you change the lenses, where and how you change them, and how fussy you are.

First, take a record photograph--an out-of-focus blue sky or white wall on the largest f number of your lens--f16, 22). Import the image and look at it closely at at least a 100%. I use Photoshop and circle each piece of dust on the image.

If there is dust set the camera to open the shutter for cleaning. Use a blower (not a blower brush but just an air blower) and blow the dust out.

Re-photograph the sky or wall, and repeat. If there is still dust but it has moved, repeat the previous step. If there is dust that has not been moved by the blower, THEN use the static charged brush. A sensor brush can be charged with blasts of air or with motion (like the Arctic Butterfly) and this is used to lightly brush the sensor. The static charge will cause any dust to stick to the brush. But it is important to brush, charge, brush, charge, etc.

Take another photo and see if the dust is gone, moved, or is still in the same place. If it is gone, great. The sensor brush will remove a lot of the general dust. If it still has dust but it has moved repeat the two steps above.

If there is dust that is stuck to the sensor--that is, the air and sensor brush have not removed it completely or at least moved it around, only now should you use a wet clean.

And then repeat the steps with the least impact on the sensor as you need to remembering to take another photograph after each clean and looking closely at them.

Just remember that you will probably never get a sensor completely clean.

When I decide my sensor is in need of cleaning I use the wet method from Copperhill and when I'm finished there is not one dust bunny left and it may take two or three times at the most, but its spotless. So...yes its completely clean. I always blow out the housing using a rocket blower with the mirror down prior to wet cleaning.

Ray

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow