Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
I Get Tired of Uber Pros
7 months ago

Uber Pros say:

gear doesn't matter

90% of gear is better than 90% of photographers

great photographer can get great shots with any gear

best camera you have is the one you have - inferring that the camera doesn't matter

don't take pictures, make pictures

learn your craft - then get gear

I agree with all of this.

But

Uber Pros:

have all the best gear, the most expensive gear, and use nothing else for paid gigs

many of them buy everything, they do things like upgrade from a 24-70 2.8L to a 24-70 2.8LII

they switch brands. play with different formats, like mirrorless or medium format. wow expensive. i thought gear didn't matter???

prefer to learn their craft with $6000 camera bodies. yup. they take workshops too. they expand their knowledge too. you think they learn their craft with 5-10 year old gear? ha

they complain about lenses like the 58 1.4G. they complain about Df's. they say "why is this expensive? it's really not THAT much better. what we really need is xyz." then, they turn around and buy Df's. use them. enjoy them. sometimes they recant, and say "hey i was wrong the Df rocks." or "the 58 is unique." and i'm like "i thought gear didn't matter. i thought you had enough. i thought you said "non-uber's" are silly for chasing after gear...

I could sum it all up like this: "the 58 1.4G isn't better than the 50 1.4G. but damn!!! i'm buying one - oh yeah!!! but you guys, the rest of you, don't do it."

Why can't we all agree that gear is awesome? I've heard Martin Bailey do this recently on his podcast. He just admits it. He freakin loves new gear. Let's just admit that great photographers use great gear, enjoy great gear, and take pleasure out of using fine tools for their craft.

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow