ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Myer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,660
Like?
70D - AI Servo Focus - Custom Functions
11 months ago

I've been reading the manual.

I just upgraded from a T2i (550) to a 70D.

I was hoping for two improvements:

1) Improved high ISO performance (though the T2i is greatly improved over the xt (350)).

2) Faster / better viewfinder focus.

I'm hoping to get better at moving subjects. Getting them and getting them in focus.

Two subjects come to mind. a) Today I went over to the airport (FLL) and spent an hour or so photographing airplanes just after takeoff. I got a lot of good shots viewing them in the screen. I haven't checked on my computer screen how sharp they are but on the LCD zoomed in I can read very clearly any writing on the plane. Even the smallest.

and b) birds in flight.

I notice in the manual there are several custom functions that work together with AI Servo.

i) Tracking Sensitivity (considering changing to -1 Locked on)

ii) Acceleration / deceleration Tracking (considering changing to +1 or +2)

iii) AI Servo 1st Image Priority (considering changing to focus priority)

iv) 2nd Image Priority (considering changing to focus priority)

While planes are predictable birds are not. Since these functions only appear to have any effect when using AI Servo, is there any real downside to setting.

I'm thinking of changing the above Custom Functions to the values I places in the brackets.

Has anybody tried shooting planes or Birds in Flight using the 70D?

Any comments or downside, etc to the CF changes I'm considering?

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow