Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Babka08
Regular MemberPosts: 240Gear list
Like?
My Full-Frame Pentax(ian) DSLR and Lenses
8 months ago

I've recently sold all of my Pentax gear in order to go full-frame. What's been most interesting to me is (and this I feel is Pentax-relevant) is that I have been able to put together a full-frame Canon kit that I feel falls very much into the Pentax ethos. It's compact, built around primes and good for travel.

I bought:

A Canon 6D, which is the same weight as the K5 I was using. A titch larger but I like the larger grip better.

The lenses have been really a satisfying find.

I picked up a Canon 40mm STM f/2.8 pancake which is just as small and light as the DA21 it sort of replaces. I forego the metal body for an ultrasonic focus motor and I get a faster aperture and a lot more latitude with depth of focus.

I searched a lot for a wide lens. In the end I discovered the hard to get, beautiful little Voigtlander 20mm f/3.5. This is what I'm considering a replacement for the DA15, which I had always wished was a little wider. The Voigtlander is the same weight, metal build, and I am totally comfortable with the manual focus at this length.

I got a 50mm f/2.5 compact macro for 200 bucks used. This replaces my DA35 macro. It's an old, plastic body build but the optics are great, and it's that extra bit faster wide open. About the same size and build as the DFA50 macro.

All three lenses use a 52mm filter so I'm set for polarizers and step-ups with my Cokin holder.

Finally, a 70-200 f/4 IS telephoto, which somewhat covers either the DA50-135 or 60-250 depending on how you look at it. It's light, fast and really sharp.

I just thought some of you current Pentax shooters might be interested in my experience with this change to full-frame (without getting all big and bulky with large/heavy equipment). It's been great so far.

Babka08's gear list:Babka08's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II +1 more
Canon EOS 6D Nikon Df Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow