Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
X-S1 Initial Impressions
8 months ago

Picked up an X-S1 from Amazon for my upcoming birthday. I've mostly used m4/3 over the past couple of years, and I still use a Nikon D700 when I feel the added bulk is warranted. I've used an X-F1 enough to know I like the sensor and the colors.  I wanted the "reach" of something like the X-S1 without the bulk of something like the 80-400 Nikkor on my D700 for wildlife photos.

So far, I'm pleased overall.  Seems like great build quality, great EVF, good enough LCD, and a good quality lens with pretty good stabilization.  The feature set seems pretty good.  I'm not having any major issues with AF, but I'm quite used to contrast AF on my m4/3 cameras and I'm used to switching over to manual focus in situations that are tough for AF.  I've assigned MF assist to one of the function buttons and it works as well as it does on my Olympus E-M5.  I'm not seeing any softness on one side of the lens like some have reported.

As far as what I've been a little disappointed in so far, the list is fairly short:

• I don't like how it seems to default to high ISO if Auto ISO is on when using flash for a fairly close subject.  Neither the Oly nor the Nikon are so quick to raise the ISO, but it is a simple enough fix by just turning off Auto ISO.    
  • I don't like that the center spot is not clearly indicated when using spot metering with a focus point that is not at the center of the frame; maybe it is there and I just can't see it.
  • I also would prefer that spot metering follow the focus point like it does on the D700.  This feature varies from one manufacturer to the next.  Nikon and Panasonic will spot meter at the focus point, while Oly, Sony and apparently Fujifilm will not.  AE lock will have the be the work around, but I much prefer the way my Nikon and Pany work for portraits with the subject off center.   

Still testing out EXR modes and dynamic range settings and getting used to the metering.

Overall, it seems like a really great deal, you get a lot of capability for the money.

-- hide signature --

Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow