Nikon AI-s lenses - quality tests

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
gear1box
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AI-s lenses - quality tests
In reply to AZ Steve, 8 months ago

Z Steve wrote:

As others have said, the wides are nothing to enthuse about. From 50mm up, many of the older lenses deliver pretty good images. The problem for me is that these longer lenses rarely offer an appreciably better image than the f/4 VR zooms at my preferred f/5.6-f/9.

Steve --

You bring up a point that, frankly, is hard for me to get past.  In truth all these lenses have to be shot at f4 to f5.6 to get edge performance really satisfactory.  But at that point we are close to kit-zoom territory, so why bother?

And when it comes to primes, truly the f1.8Gs are hard to beat for a 28-50-85 range.  And i get AF.  And i get flash automation.  At least the AISes will matrix meter with many bodies now.

Look, i love using them, they will last until the second coming, but i really cannot say that i see the difference in my prints.

-- hide signature --

gary ray
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow