Is the d7000 still an option for a beginner?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nickferguson
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Is the d7000 still an option for a beginner?
11 months ago

Hello forum, this is my first post here, have been lurking for a while though

I know there must be questions like these all the time, however not one exactly fitting my situation.

My question is the exact one in the subject: Is the d7000 suitable for a beginner user like me? I have been doing months of research, reading tons of reviews, watching videos, initially deciding on the d5200. I understand that the d5xxx and d3xxx are aimed at the novice and the d7xxx seems more like a second camera, however I won't be in a position to spend a load of money on a new body for years to come (of course I can still save up to buy a few nice lenses, and have already decided on what ones I will probably buy should I ever require them, but I'm probably jumping the gun in that regard).

What particularly appeals about the d7000 as opposed to the d5200 is: less menus to trawl through to change basic settings, better build quality, built in AF motor, weather sealing etc., but you guys already know the differences and benefits inside out. Despite being 3 and a bit years old it still seems like a lot of camera for the money. I can see the d7000 lasting me for many years to come.

I plan to shoot a range of things, birds, landscapes, friends and family, travel, some sport, night shooting too. I am definitely interested in learning all I can about photography and improving my skills, and something which I am really excited to do. I will be going to my local camera shop at the weekend to try them both out (the reason that I'm only doing this now is because a few months ago I wasn't in a position to buy one, but I recently came into some money so now I can :))

Also, am I missing anything (apart from the fact that these are last-generation camerasĀ  )? What would you buy if you were in my position? Am I completely insane in thinking this?

Thank you,

-Nick.

nickferguson's gear list:nickferguson's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow