Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156Gear list
Like?
Re: Want to do a wet sensor clean myself
In reply to mactac, 11 months ago

mactac wrote:

PenPix wrote:

"Help, did I screw up my sensor?" thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52937971

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but just be very careful going about it.

I have used the Visible Dust swabs on my D200. After 2 tries I still had 1 dust spot visible on my images, but I can live with it as it is easily fixed in PP. Luckily I've managed to dodge the dust bullet with my D700.

I was the person who started this thread. I will never buy visible dust products again - they left a film on my sensor that just wouldn't go away, no matter how much wiping, scraping and rubbing I did (I'm exaggerating a bit here!). It almost looked like scratches (the reason I started the thread)

The very first wipe from a competing product got rid of the film.

After all of that, I'm won't have any problems cleaning my own sensor (using the right product), and will continue to do so.

I did find cleaning it somewhat frustrating though, as it seems like a pretty imperfect solution (no pun intended): With each clean, it seemed like it got rid of some dust, but added other dust. I took 7 wipes (actually, 14 if you count one way then the other) to get rid of 95% of the dust (I still have a bit).

Are you using a rocket blower and a charged brush?  That should remove any residual dust.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow