Poll re Nikon Df

Started 6 months ago | Polls thread
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Poll re Nikon Df
In reply to user_name, 6 months ago

user_name wrote:

I hear you, but the main thing about the M system is the lenses. This is what makes the whole thing work as eloquently as it does.

The quality of the optics is one thing, but the size of the lenses owe to the fact they are tailored specifically to the M body. You can't make your F-mount lenses smaller, so even if you made a rangefinder body that took F-mount lenses, the system would always be larger and bulkier.

Also, the M system does not do well with ultrawide angle and telephoto lenses. That is just the nature of a rangefinder's viewfinder. It's clunky to use those adapters to get the correct field of view.

Why not do what I did. Just but a used M8 and one or maybe two M lenses to satisfy. I find the 1.33 crop factor tolerable and the small 10.3mp sensor size still produces some excellent output due to the lack of an AA filter.

You can buy a new or used Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 M mount lens and a used M8 for less than a Df body (let alone a used M9 body). You need a B&W UV/IR cut filter for any lens you buy for the M8.

Still a little pricey? Buy a Voigtlander lens instead.

If it floats your boat, keep it. If not, flip it and you won't really lose any money.

A new Df is still less expensive than a used M9...but honestly, if I were going to put out that much cash for a camera...I would spend a little more and get the M9.  The Df is for hipsters that want to play old school photo dress up.  The Leica digital M-series is for people that want to actually shoot photos the way we used to.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow