ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
YLK
YLK
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
Nex 5T - focusing, WB - problems and questions
11 months ago

Brief self-intro - I have been taking photos for about 30 years, but on pure amateur level, with SLRs (Minolta), then switched to P&S for convenience, then got Canon 550D and finally - when Canon broke - Sony Nex 5T with plans to get a FF camera (Sony?).

After first fascination with 5T kit (16-50; light, good DR) and after using it for half a year I noticed some problems. They may be are not real problems, it is very possible they are just parts of the camera features or my lack of skills, I hope the knowledgeable members of this forum could help.

1.Focusing

1.1.With Canon I got used to cross points; pointing the cross (to be exact - the point where the lines cross) at the object and focusing would get me that very point in focus. However with Sony there are no points, but a square, and I'm having problems with it. As an example - I was taking photo of a tree branch, and there were some bushes behind it. I focused by placing the part of the branch I wanted in focus in the square, half pressed, focused and as the result got the bushes in focus, not the branch. I know MF would be a way to go, but I'd love to figure out a way how to AF.

1.2.Sometimes I get pulsing focusing; even when there is enough contrast sometimes I can hear the focusing motor working ("pulling and pushing") trying to get the object in focus. It does not stop, but if I take a photo I can generally get a focused picture. However I have no idea why this pulsing is happening, especially in situation, where contrast seems clear enough to get the focus easily.

2.WB

Auto WB on Canon would usually give very good colors, and using a piece of white paper would guarantee it. However this does not seem to be true for Sony. On a sunny day I would get very cold greens for vegetation and very deep blues for the sky. I try to adjust them with "options", but it is not only very difficult but also pain. Still I get blue cast of mountains.

Taking landscape photos of distant mountains I always get the colors far too cold, with vegetation almost blue. Trying to adjust it is impossible. I have been taking RAW along with JPEGs just to have the chance to work it out in postp.

3.Other

HDR - most - if not all - of Sony P&S have a dedicated HDR mode (within Scenes), and I expected to find one on the Nex, but there is none unnfortunately. Shame.Lack of a viewfinder - the screen just does not cut it for me, the colors, the resolution, just not good enough. I really miss the viewfinder.

Hope a good soul will help me to regain my faith again, I really like 5T but cannot figure out how to take decent photos with it.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) NEX5R Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow