Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alex 25i
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
24-105mm L f4 Vs 18-135mm STM - I think the stm is amazing
8 months ago

These new STM lens were made for video is canon's statement.  In a product video showing a test they are SUPER fast when used on a 70d. The biggest trade-off is going to be weight, the STM is much lighter.

I JUST got my L lens to work properly with AF micro-adjustments and started to test the STM vs the L lens.     I have found the L to be just a shade brighter and Very very small amount sharper.  The cost difference is large.  I got my stm for around 300.00$ street value.  The L lens is about 675.00$ street value.  These are both 5.6 iso 100  1/125 Seconds snap.  Maybe someone with a more experienced eye will feel there is a HUGE difference.  I am seeing bluring around the outside edge of the L but super sharp in the middle.   While the STM seems to hold sharpness across the board. I know there is a ton of stuff out there to compare.  I guess a lot of people like to see real world.  I put the camera at a bit off to the right of the target to get a range of focus I think about a 1.2 DOF here with the angle.

This is the L lens shot,  what do you think, it seems to be just a hair brighter.

This is the STM, just a slight darker, but very sharp.

Alex 25i's gear list:Alex 25i's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S3600 Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow