Nikon AI-s lenses - quality tests

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
a_c_skinner
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AI-s lenses - quality tests
In reply to chooflaki, 11 months ago

The 55mm 3.5 micro is often said to be very sharp close up and less so at infinity the 2.8 throughout the range but check for oil on the diaphragm blades.  The 200mm f4 non micro never seems anything but very good as is the 70-150 Nikkor E.  The 28mm comes in different versions some very good, others mundane.  The 24mm 2.8 gets good notes but does show colour fringing that can be noticable.  I've got a 35mm 2.8 which is very sharp, unlike the reviews of this series of lenses, of which there are about half a dozen iterations.  The numerous versions of many lenses make this tricky.  I was ostracized on another Nikon forum for saying we look at lenses not pictures (I said it about the Noct lens, owners of which brook no reservations).  The 20mm 3.5 is said to be very flare resistant and superb close to, less so at infinity.

All lack modern coatings (obviously) and will flare worse than modern coated lenses.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow