Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,043Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon or Sony
In reply to hex anon, 3 months ago

hex anon wrote:

JCB123 wrote:

Consider the Nikon D5100. It is a very capable camera and the 16MP sony sensor in it is a very very good sensor. Its an absolute bargain now too.

The 18-105 kit lens is optically very good and also a bargain.

I don't have any experience with Sony cameras (apart from the RX100 compact). I think the problem there is that they keep changing direction and introducing new lens mounts. That means that the lens range for any particular Sony system does not mature very quickly and also raises some doubts as to which systems they will continue to develope over time. I was a Minolta SLR user in the days of film (Sonys A mount is the old Minolta AF maount) but Minolta were very late to produce APS-C DSLRs and I switched to Nikon with the advent of the D70. I have some minor niggles with Nikon but have not had cause to regret the choice. They have a broad system of lenses to choose from and a very capable flash system. There is also a wealth of third party support for Nikon regarding lenses, flash and other accessories.

Regards

John

JCB123, I agree with all that you said about Nikon. Except, I would suggest the D7000 if one can be found at a good price. I bought a factory refurbished D7000 right before christmas for $550 US. It is a lot more camera than the D5100 in so many ways and also has the great 16mp sensor. I shoot with Sony gear also, and actually they only have two different mounts, A and E.

hex anon

Yes the D7000 is a great camera and also a real bargain at the present time. It is nonetheless a little more expensive than the cameras the OP was comparing though. If the OP is prepared to spend a fraction more and would also appreciate more direct controls and extra features then the D7000 would indeed be an excellent choice. The D5100 still the best bargain though I think.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow