Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,137Gear list
Like?
Re: Is SLT dead or alive ?
In reply to kartikjayaraman, 9 months ago

kartikjayaraman wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

Have not looked at the A7 EVF yet.. but I can tell you the NEX EVF I tried was early unusable and in that format an OVF would be too..

Yes I also did not like the NEX6/7 viewfinders...too small IMO but the A7/A7r is quite good.

K E Hoffman wrote:

There is a massive obsession with the controlled Studio IQ tests that really mean much less when REAL PHOTOGRAPHY is done.. because focus, framing, subject choice, timing, exposure, DOF choices etc. all overwhelm the Micro issues we obsess with in studio tests..

That's true The geek inside me is also guilty of pixel peeping and I need to get rid of it some day In fact I was very Happy with my A500 for 5 years and didn't even bother to check what new cameras were there as I never really "missed" anything in my photography (except for decent AEB which I missed terribly). However studio tests or not, the A7/A7r provide stunning image quality for a mirrorless camera IMO.

K E Hoffman wrote:

This is one of my favorite photos I tool of the Eiffel Tower.. because it shows something most people would walk right over.. it's a bit dark and a bit graining.. but its better than any studio noise test ever shot...

That's a great catch! You have a nice eye! One of my best shots came when we were going back from a vacation and I pulled over to a parking spot by the road after dusk. My wife said you got all the shots you wanted in the nice places...what now? However I really did want to take the shot and it became my all time favorite shot and is one of the most viewed and liked photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djkj/4367585927/in/set-72157627661196862

-- hide signature --

That an Awesome Shot.. LOVE IT...

Al things being equal its good to know the tie breakers like DXO ISO 800 vs ISO 1100.. etc.  But all things are never equal.  A camera fits you or it doesn't and a cleaner ISO 3200 or a dozen more AF points ... As much as I think Nikon has some great points.. Nothing Canon or Nikon has made feels like that A700 did in my hand the first time I held it.  And darned if the A77 doesn't fee as good.. and once I got over my EVF fears... All things are not equal..  So a little noise I have figured out how to deal with is not a problem..

IF Sony gave me two stops better noise.. and 30 more tacking AF points and put it in an A7 body.. I would not enjoy taking pictures as much.... they are good cameras... but something that small .. IMHO will never quite become an extension of me...

I hope the next A77 / A700 class camera feels as well and keeps the wonderful control placement..

I really do dislike the spiny dial thing on the back of the Canons... and the Canon users would hate to see it go..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
DeadNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow