first birding with K-3... BAM!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,727Gear list
Like?
my impression of K-3 focusing and metering with birds
In reply to paulkienitz, 6 months ago

Screw-drive autofocus is very fast and very positive compared to what I'm used to, but with fast-moving subjects, sometimes it has more near-misses than actual hits.  For instance, when shooting at BIFs (using selected point with large expanded area), it will easily lock on to targets in cases where my previous camera would just flail helplessly and rack the focus end to end... but the focus it arrives at is usually somewhat off.  Maybe an SDM lens would do better.

On the ground, you have to be cautious of it locking focus on the background behind the bird.  It may only be two feet further back, but if you crop tightly that's enough to make a visible focus error.

The metering, I am very impressed by.  I can shoot at a small white bird in a large brown area and as long as the bird isn't too tiny a portion of the picture, it doesn't blow out the white!  At least, not unrecoverably.  A lot of cameras seem to fail at that even in live view mode.

this is the OOC JPEG, resized down... at full size, it also shows the background focus issue

The colors of the OOC jpegs seem like a definite improvement, even relative to the Q which is not much older.  And the rear monitor's color seems much truer too.  But in DXO 9 the "daylight" setting seems way too magenta by default.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow