Nikon AI-s lenses - quality tests

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
gear1box
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AI-s lenses - quality tests
In reply to anotherMike, 6 months ago

anotherMike wrote:

So to summarize, if you want to think about AIS lenses, think the moderate and semi telephoto's instead of the wide angles and you'll probably do better. Wide angle glass is tough on these modern high rez sensors - even the very best aren't perfect, so it shouldn't be too much of a mental stretch to realize the wides designed in the film era won't be anything special.

-m

Mike --

As a lover of the sensuous mechanics of the AIS line, as well as an owner of more than a dozen examples, your advice concerning 50mm and up AIS lenses being more usable on dSLRs precisely matches my testing of my own samples.

Even some of my film faves -- the 24mm f2.8 and 35mm f2 in particular -- are, frankly, disappointing in the corners until you get to f5.6, at which point they about equal a current kit zoom.  Ouch.  Actually the only exception in my lot is the 28mm f2; it is great on digital.

But north of 50mm things are mostly very good, actually.  Some old war horses like the 105mm f2.5 and 200mm f4 are surprisingly practical on digital and, frankly, are quite small and handy compared to current glass.  The 75-150mm f3.5E is a winner too.

I find that going out with my 28mm f2, 50mm f1.8, and 105mm f2.5 makes a nice "classic" kit for my d600 body.  These FOVs parallel 60 years of Leica street shooters too.  I miss the 35mm though.  I can sort of imagine that i am that guy in the Nikon Df commercial . . . cheaper, with better ergonomics . . . but that is another story . . .

-- hide signature --

gary ray
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow