Is your D4 battery holding its charge?

Started Jan 20, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Is your D4 battery holding its charge?
In reply to Paul Szilard, Jan 20, 2014

Yes, all batteries self discharge.  Yes, the camera is never really "off".

But my experience with the D4 batteries mirrors yours and is a bit different from my experience with the D2x.  The D4's batteries self discharge a noticeable bit more than the D2x's.  Not enough to change how I use the camera, but enough that I've noticed it.

There are a number of possible reasons.  1) I could be hallucinating about it (time seems to fly by faster as I get older), 2) the D4 batteries are slightly smaller capacity than the D2x or D3, 3) the battery formulation / charging parameters / charging circuitry are different and may be tuned differently and 4) the D4 may have a higher idle draw than other cameras (phoning home to the NSA?).

According to a number of sources, long term storage (30 days +) of LiOn batteries is best done with the battery at something like 2/3 - 3/4 charge, so it sounds like you're just doing fine at least as far as longevity goes.

And the one thing that no one has mentioned so far is that the D4 charger has a calibration feature.  Have you tried that?  (Mine seems to make no difference although the batteries are relatively new).  And these are real Nikon batteries?

-- hide signature --

RG
I break things.
www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow