Is your D4 battery holding its charge?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,038Gear list
Like?
Re: Is your D4 battery holding its charge?
In reply to Paul Szilard, 6 months ago

Yes, all batteries self discharge.  Yes, the camera is never really "off".

But my experience with the D4 batteries mirrors yours and is a bit different from my experience with the D2x.  The D4's batteries self discharge a noticeable bit more than the D2x's.  Not enough to change how I use the camera, but enough that I've noticed it.

There are a number of possible reasons.  1) I could be hallucinating about it (time seems to fly by faster as I get older), 2) the D4 batteries are slightly smaller capacity than the D2x or D3, 3) the battery formulation / charging parameters / charging circuitry are different and may be tuned differently and 4) the D4 may have a higher idle draw than other cameras (phoning home to the NSA?).

According to a number of sources, long term storage (30 days +) of LiOn batteries is best done with the battery at something like 2/3 - 3/4 charge, so it sounds like you're just doing fine at least as far as longevity goes.

And the one thing that no one has mentioned so far is that the D4 charger has a calibration feature.  Have you tried that?  (Mine seems to make no difference although the batteries are relatively new).  And these are real Nikon batteries?

-- hide signature --

RG
I break things.
www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow