Acceptable photo from NEX-6 w/ 50f18 Prime @ ISO400?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
justincarlson
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Re: Acceptable photo from NEX-6 w/ 50f18 Prime @ ISO400?
In reply to Gato Amarillo, 9 months ago

I found that using f2.2-f2.8 with spot focusing and continuous autofocus worked quite well, by prefocusing like you said and keeping it centered on the player I wanted in focus.

Gato Amarillo wrote:

This is a tricky situation. The amount of "white" ice in the frame will vary, which can confuse the meter for auto exposure, but the arena light may not be even, which makes manual difficult.

Center metering definitely might help. You might also try some tests with manual exposure.

My technique would be to go manual, then do some test shots before the action begins. I'd check the camera histogram and blinkies to place the ice as bright as possible without completely blowing out -- i.e. I'd be seeing a few blinkies in the brightest parts of the ice, but not large areas blinking.

Once the game began I'd monitor my exposures for problems until I was confident, then shoot away.

You also mentioned focus. At this distance with this lens focus is not very critical. I'd prefocus as players come into range, then wait for the action to develop. If you do this sort of thing a lot you learn to hold hald-press for a loooooooong time. Also consider burst mode -- I'm not sure how the NEX 6 handles focus in a burst, but it's worth looking into.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

justincarlson's gear list:justincarlson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS HDRsoft Photomatix Pro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow