Recent experience with Davis Max (thru Amazon)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chriskana
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Recent experience with Davis Max (thru Amazon)
9 months ago

For those of you who may be 'on the fence' regarding purchasing camera equipment from certain questionable vendors from Amazon, I'll share my recent experience:

During the holidays I was shopping for a couple of items, watching the prices daily at various locations but especially Amazon. When the K-5 IIs hit ~ $730 or ~$740 (I forget the exact price) I pulled the trigger. The vendor was Electronics Basket. I received the camera with no problems, delivered on time, and the camera had all appearances of being genuine, brand new, etc.

Around the same time I pulled the trigger on the DFA 100mm macro WR, somewhere around $679, but this time from Davis Max. For the next week, I watched patiently while my order status remained at 'preparing for shipping'.  At one point I sent the vendor (Davis Max) an email through the Amazon contact seller function, inquiring into the status of the order. I should also note that during that week-long wait I continued to monitor the price of the lens on Amazon, and the price fluctuated higher multiple times, even though Davis Max was still the lowest price.  I received a prompt reply from a representative of Davis Max apologizing for the delay, but said I had the choice of canceling my order or waiting for it to become available for shipment. I responded by saying I was in no hurry, that I wanted to keep the order.  Needless to say though, I was becoming more and more apprehensive, especially since that vendor continued to list the same item as available in multiple quantities, but now at significantly higher prices. After yet another week of no action, and another reassurance email from the vendor, I received an email from amazon stating the order was cancelled due to some technical problem, item no longer available from vendor. This was especially odd given the fact that Davis max STILL listed it as available on amazon, and still in multiple quantities, and of course at much higher prices. In fact, when I logged into my account, the order was no longer even listed in my history. I emailed them again, and basically received an apology from them, but it was pretty much matter of fact at that point. I then contacted customer service at amazon by phone, explained the situation, and was given an apology for the inconvenience and they requested my permission to launch an investigation into the company. I of course said yes, but have not heard anything since.

My impression is that they simply changed their mind regarding the price that I bought the lens at.  I don't think there is much I can do about it now, other than simply choosing not to buy anything from them in the future. By the way, this was my first experience with both Electronics Basket and Davis Max.

Chris

Nikon Df Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow