Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HDProman
Contributing MemberPosts: 781
Like?
Old and Slow, what to do
7 months ago

My current desktop computer from April 2009 has the following specifications.

Motherboard: Giga-Byte GA-EP45-UD3R

Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz

Memory: DDR2 2GB x 4 PC2-6400 400MHz

C Drive: 500GB 7200 rpm

Recently my computer was acting strange to the point Windows 7 Professional x64 O.S. would not load.

My computer technician's named is Randy and he earns his living in computer building, maintenance and repairs. He has more that 20 years of experience and I trust him completely. He is somewhat conservative and old school when it comes to computer tweaking and new computer specifications. He found and removed two root kits and my computer now boots, although slowly. He ran a program called HijackThis and printed out the results. The report is more than three pages long and has 2 entries ending with (no file), and 19 entries ending with (file missing). From the time I press the power button until the desktop is ready for use I am waiting between 6 to 6.5 minutes. Randy says this is very slow and probably due to excessive loading of programs. He says it will be better and cost less to just do what he calls a "Wipe and Dipe" which means a fresh install of Windows 7.

I know the only real solution for more speed is a modern computer, however the termites in my house need to die first.

For now I don't see any option other than a fresh install of my O.S. I also am wondering about getting a new HD, Western Digital 500GB 10,000 rpm Raptor, currently on Amazon for $124.00. The combination of a fresh install and faster HD should be about all I can do for a speedup.

I have considered going to 16GB of ram, however the prices for 4x4GB of DDR2 ram does not seem to make sense on this older computer.

What do you think of this logic, am I missing anything else to speed up this older computer.

Thanks, Floyd...

-- hide signature --

Newbie, having fun.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow