Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Scott McMorrow
Regular MemberPosts: 354
Like?
Re: Exposure
In reply to Trazan, 6 months ago

Trazan wrote:

VertigonA380 wrote:

The OP is talking about low light, and exposing to the right is the right way in low light with RAW. If in doubt take an identical picture with different exposures and then pull out the shadows in PP. Crop in for noise and it will leave you with no doubt.

How about if I'm convinced I don't need more dynamic range into shadows? From the link posted:

ETTR:
Requires more light than normal, and potentially a higher ISO speed
(which could mitigate any reduction in image noise from ETTR).

Exposing "dark":
Requires less light than normal, potentially enabling a lower ISO speed
(which would offset any increase in image noise).

So...exposing to the right/lighter areas gives less noise, but the use of higher ISO mitigates that.
Exposing darker results in more noise, but the use of lower ISO offsets this increase.

Assuming the resulting noise is equal I'd definitely chose ETTR. However I'm a bit unclear on whether plain reduction of exposure in post will equalize the gain/noise applied from higher ISO...

Here's a simple rule of thumb to maximize dynamic range and noise for most recent Nikon sensors:

For D800/D6x0/D7x00/D5x00  Expose to the right up to ISO 1600.  Above that, leave ISO at 1600 and adjust in post.  If using AutoISO, set the maximum ISO to 1600 and be aware of this during your photography.  When AutoISO approaches 1600, be sure to use manual aperture and shutter speed settings to maintain better control of DOF and blur.

In general, ETTR in the ISO range where the sensor is using Analog gain.  Above that range, where digital gain is used, perform your final exposure adjustments in post processing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow