Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Myer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,574
Like?
70D - Internal Flash & LCD Screen to View Settings
3 months ago

Just received my new 70D (to replace a 4 year old T2i (550)).

Been playing with various settings. Of course, used to functioning of the older T2i.

A couple of questions.

1)

I was using a LightScoop to bounce the internal flash off the ceiling. The Lightscoop is a device that fits into the hot shoe and bounces the flash upwards.

However, the default is for the internal flash not to shoot when something is in the hot shoe. In fact, the internal flash doesn't even flip up when something is in the hot shoe.

Can these two things be overridden?

2)

I'm used to seeing the settings on the LCD. I realize they're available in the viewfinder and also on the top screen. But I'm used to seeing them (and larger) on the LCD. Can that be turned on? Actuallu, the LCD screen would also be a lot larger than the top screen.

= = = = = = = = =

I just started to play with it so can't give too many impressions.

There two things I wanted in the 70D over the T2i.

1)

Better high ISO performance. I realize this is a controversial topic (some say it is and others say barely). I tried that out at a camera store a couple of weeks ago and found that the T2i was better than I thought but the 70D was not only at least a stop better but the noise was finer.

2)

Better / faster focus. This include burst as well. On the T2i, if I had High ISO NR on and shot Large jpg + RAW the burst rate dropped to 2.

I haven't checked out the actual focus quality but I did play with continuous shooting and various combinations of Large jpg + RAW (NR set to standard).

With RAW off the viewfinder indicates 27 (can't measure that but it fired like a machine gun). With RAW on the viewfinder indicates 7 and for about that many shots it also fires like a machine gun and then slows or stops for a second. I'm impressed with that. Actually, with that increased burst, now I'll have to review more images (Arcgh!!!).

Back to my two questions at the top.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow