JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?
Re: K3: ISO 8000
In reply to Jan Rinze, 6 months ago

Jan Rinze wrote:

Greyser wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

I went to the Edmonton Motorcycle Show this afternoon to try out the K3 AF in low light. All the shots I am sharing below were at ISO 8000 (1/325 sec and f3.5 with Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lens) with NR set to medium. I have been going to the annual motorcycle shows and have shot with the K20, K7, K5, K5IIs and now K3. The AF on the K3 is best of all the models. ISO 8000 is better than I expected on the K3.

very clean, indeed.

makes me wonder if there is variation in noise levels among different K-3's.

Mine certainly tops at ISO 3200 and that is not as clean as this example!

-- hide signature --

Jan I suspect (and this is just AN EDUCATED GUESS) that noise levels at very high ISOs like that can vary widely depending upon both how level the lighting is (although that indoor lighting wasn't particularly BRIGHT, by photography standards, it looks to have been fairly level), and also by how even the background color(s) is/are (much of the background in his shots is either what appears to be gymnasium floor or bleachers).

Again, this is just A GUESS, and coming from someone who's never EVEN SHOT at such a high ISO, but I'm thinking that shots taken at that same ISO outdoors, around dusk, for instance, with complex backgrounds that include leaves and branches and all sorts of various shadows and highlights with varying amounts of dark, light and contrast to them would quite likely show A LOT MORE NOISE and/or be much more difficult to CONTROL for noise.

I could be "all wet" on this, but it just seems a "common sense" sort of reason of at least PART of why his photos look that good at that ISO IF those of others haven't -- especially when we've all seen what can happen with High-ISO noise under complex low-light conditions.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow