Never saw female wood duck before

Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?
Re: Never saw female wood duck before
In reply to brandrx, 6 months ago

Beautiful photos! I find it fascinating how in much of nature -- and apparently ALL of the bird world -- it's the MALES who have to be "pretty" and impress the females with their good looks. But in human society, it's just the opposite, although then the males jostle and fight to "win" the "prettiest" females.

The different ways nature has established for attraction of the sexes in different species are fascinating, and probably nowhere more than in birds. I have several pairs of cardinals that visit my feeders; the males are gorgeous, the females much more subdued in color. But it's the bower birds and birds of paradise in South Asia that are truly amazing! Every time I see a show coming up on something like that I make CERTAIN to set my DVR. Some of those dances are incredible.

All the same, just seeing two pretty little ducks paddling around like that is pretty special, too, and I appreciate you sharing the photos.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow