Trip to the Airport (Nikon Dƒ, some long lensing, some street)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,384Gear list
Like?
Trip to the Airport (Nikon Dƒ, some long lensing, some street)
7 months ago

Dƒ haters, please close this tab now.

Yesterday, on the occasion of the 13th birthday of my stepson, we decided to take a family trip to the airport.

I struggled longer than usual on the gear selection because I knew I wanted to take my Dƒ and my experience with large lenses hasn't been good so far. I knew that I would be shooting in low light, so the Df was going in the bag, but I knew that I would be using a long lens so I seriously considered taking my D800. But they wouldn't both fit in the bag, so a compromise was in order.

In the end I decided on:

• Kit 50/1.8G
  • Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
  • Sigma 15mm f/2.8 diagonal fisheye
  • Nikon 300mm f/2.8G VRII (circular polariser inserted in the slot)

First, we got the boy two hours in a flight simulator.

Sigma 35/1.4

I got a couple nice shots of the cramped cockpit with the fisheye, but meh. It's a fisheye, not particularly sharp, and shows faces of people who I don't want to put on the internet.

Anyway, then we headed for the observation deck of the nearest international airport, ZRH.

Closeup! Kit 50 Included for pure comedian effect.

Did I mention the boy is totally consumed with passenger jets? Yeah, I guess you figured that much out on your own. He's using (and gets great photos with) a D5100 and Tamron 18-270 PZD superzoom.

Using the 300 f/2.8 VRII was more comfortable that I thought. As long as you aren't using barely-there grip to raise the lens, like I tend to do larger standard and wide angle zooms, it's fine. Obviously, with such a long lens, you'll need to keep your hand underneath for stability.

I had a TC14 too, but I didn't need it at this distance.

Check the elbow. I have pretty large hands. Nikon 1 AW1 with kit zoom

We just love the airport.

Anyway, I got some takeoff images that I kind of liked. The light was pretty bad, but at least the atmospheric conditions were good for contrails. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't even be showing these, honestly.

Contrails. Df and 300/2.8

Landing Gear retracting Df and 300/2.8

Finally, on the way home (by train) I switched to street mode and got some images that I find pleasant.

Most of these are SOOC just boomified a bit with contrast and clarity.

Kit 50

I resent being forced by Nikon to buy another 50, but it works well.

The famous Swiss railway clock design that caused an out-of-court settlement with Apple

All aboard.

We're a very photographic family. Sometimes we take shots a split second apart.

SOOC My shot. Kit 50

Her shot. I like my version better Note to self: remember to synchronise the clocks on the cameras

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading about our little adventure, my thoughts on gear selection and experience with the Nikon Df.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow