Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,180
Like?
Carlsbad Caverns (New Mexico)
11 months ago

A few photos and experiences from a visit, a few days ago.

Bring a tripod - shooting as I did at ISO 4000 to still require 1/5th second at f3.5 is simply too much of a challenge. Tripods and flash are allowed, but the flash is only of occasional use. Because of time pressure, no tripod. So the photos were generally poor.

Must include a point of reference to scale - a person or its silhouette in the distance, otherwise the sense of scale of this immense place is lost....When you are looking across 100+ meters of space, a reference is a necessity.

Last...it is one of the largest, most spectacular caves in the US, and arranged so it is a very easy 30-45 minute walk, mainly flat, mostly wheelachair accessible. A "must see in your lifetime" (I've just done it the second time.)

My apologies for the poor quality of the photos. This post is only intended to document the caves for those that are thinking about visiting them.

Stalagtites, Stallagmites, dramatically lighted.

Same shot as above, with wide-angle. The railing of the walkway gives a sense of scale

You can see a person walking along the path on the left.

Looking up. These giant stalagtites are about 10 meters (30ft) tall

Great "Open spaces" great distances.

And, one with the flash....

Be well, and see Carlsbad Caverns.

RUcrAZ

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow