zeiss 24mm 1.8 vs. FE 35mm 2.8?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,662Gear list
Like?
Re: zeiss 24mm 1.8 vs. FE 35mm 2.8?
In reply to jholt, 7 months ago

jholt wrote:

should i return my 24mm 1.8 for the FE 35mm 2.8?

In my opinion, if you will use them on an A7r, yes.

Oversimplifying things, the 24mm f/1.8 is effectively the same lens as the 35mm f/2.8, just for a different format. Don't be fooled by the different f-numbers: f/2.8 on full frame is the same as f/1.8 on APS-C in terms of the image you'll capture (depth of field, photometric exposure etc.).

On the A7r sensor in terms of resolution, the 35mm f/2.8 will outperform the 24mm on an APS-C crop, by a large margin.

The rendering of the two lenses is different, and if you have a strong preference for the look from the 24mm lens, then that's a reason to keep it, but personally I'd go with the 35mm f/2.8.

• Smaller and lighter
  • Cheaper
  • Sharper
  • On an A7r you can use it as a 50mm equiv. lens in crop mode

All the reviews I've seen for the lens have been favorable, check this one from lensrentals.

"my jaw dropped when I saw the A7R/35mm f/2.8 numbers .... the only lens-camera combinations we’ve seen with that kind of MTF50 is the Zeiss Otus 55mm mounted to a D800e" - Robert Cicala

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow