Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens - soon for Pentax

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens - soon for Pentax
In reply to starjedi, 10 months ago

I have no idea WHEN it'll be available in the Pentax, Sony and other mounts besides Canon and Nikon. What I DO know, however, is that it's been SOLD OUT in its two initial mounts (Canon and Nikon) literally from the moment it went on sale!

If this lens truly lives up to its hype, it may not only be the BEST zoom lens ever made, but also the BEST-SELLING ever made, and it's DEFINITELY got me (and likely more than a few others) in limbo between deciding on the Pentax HD Ltd. 20-40 F2.8-40 and IT. The Pentax lens IS WR, whereas the Sigma isn't, but it's also $200 more expensive and 1.3 stops FASTER at its WIDE end, 2.3 stops faster at its LONG end.

Leanardo (Steeve) recently posted a thread with his own review on the DA HD 20-40 F2.8-4, which he has and appears to be quite impressed with. I've come to have GREAT RESPECT for Steeve's postings and opinions, so I don't take them lightly. He's an incredibly gifted photographer and appears to really know what he's talking about.

Some others who have it also responded in that thread that they, too, are quite pleased with the lens and feel it will become another "legendary" Pentax Ltd. lens, like the 77, 43 and 31mm lenses.

I don't know. It may. And I DO like the fact that it's WR (those three lenses AREN'T, by the way). But I DO know that unless I had the $$$ to buy BOTH there's NO WAY I'd buy the 20-40 F2.8-4 lens before reading a comparison between IT and this new Sigma F1.8 zoom. Early reports I've read in photo magazines seem to practically have reviewers swooning and in hypnotic trances, they're so impressed!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow