ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MatCamera
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Am I barking up the wrong tree ? NEX 6 vs 70D
6 months ago

Am I barking up the wrong tree ?

I am a beginner level photographer , having worked my way up from a Canon power shot to S95 to now a Sony NEX-F3. Shooting primarily with

a f1.8 50mm lens.

So far, I am very happy with the results of the camera.It was a HUGE step up.

Here is where I feel I have outgrown the camera

Contrast AF is very slow. It takes a few seconds to get AF when the conditions are a bit dim.

I miss the standard Accessory hot shoe and the selector wheel in a DSLR/NEX 6

I want to be able to add a flash or external mic

I want more options in terms of lens. I love the IQ of the f1.8 , but 50 mm is not convenient for indoor photography

Here are some attributes of my photography aspirations

-- hide signature --

My primary use case is photo (70%) , then video (30%)

My primary subjects are my children and family . Want pictures that look good decades from now. Video Quality is also very important

Ease of use is a top concern. Want my wife to take pictures (in Auto mode ) and upload via Wifi .

I expect to travel with the camera overseas this year and take it to many local places. Not a fan of DSLR bulk.

While money is not a primary concern , I am cautious since this is an untested hobby, I am not willing to invest over approx $1000 immediately, will be happier if it's lower

I have 2 cameras in mind the Sony NEX-6 (I can leverage my investment in the lens, still have a compact camera to carry around, and have great video) or a Canon 70D (Dual AF, more lens, future expand ability etc)

Am I barking up the wrong tree with Sony NEX-6 expecting PDAF to solve my slow AF / occassionally blurry issues ? Will I be better served with a proper DLSR like the 70D ?

Do I just get the NEX 6 for now and then upgrade to the 6D FF camera next year ?

Are there other choices I am missing ?

Thanks so much!

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow