Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kendunn
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?
So how much lens can you get for $12? Or fun with 200mm
6 months ago

I have always heard what great lenses the older Nikon manual focus f4(.5) 80-200's were.  Made Ken Rockwells top Nikon lens page.  I have an AF 80-200 2.8, but its heavy of course and overkill for landscapes and being the type of guy who for some reason loves to use odd ball lenses adapted to cameras I thought why not get one of the MF for hiking, this would be a piece of cake.  Saw a few on Ebay that were cheap enough I guess, the much desirable "n" (again according to KR) fetched a pretty fair price, $150 or so, but I figured there wouldn't be much difference.

I then hopped over to KEH, I saw one engraved for a mere $12.  I figured it wasn't the "n" but that was OK.  Well, today it came in and guess what?  Black mask, SCORE!  Anyways, the lens was in fine usable shape, the engraving was from the USAF, which I thought was pretty cool.  Probably just used for some local paper or something, but I like to think it was used at Area 51 when they were doing an alien autopsy.

So of course I have to try this baby out.  Not a lot going on, but I head up on the mountain across from my house with a heavy tripod, a D600, the 4.5, 2.8, and a Mamiya 645 200 2.8 APO and adapter.  Did I say I like odd combos?  This lens is sharp sharp sharp and wonderful color.  Below are samples and 100% crops with only exposure adjustments.  Very happy for $12, and all 3 were excellent even wide open.

Mamiya 200 2.8 @ 2.8 full image

NIkon 80-200 2.8 @ 2.8 200mm

Nikon 2.8 crop

Nikon 80-200 4.5 @ 4.5 200mm full

Nikon 80-200 4.5

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow