Is SLT dead or alive ?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,208Gear list
Like?
Re: SLT mirror & noise
In reply to Ari Aikomus, 9 months ago

Ari Aikomus wrote:

As much as I love shooting with my Sony SLT camera, I have a very hard time to forget that there's that damn SLT mirror between the "pure optical path", a mirror that degrades the image quality a little bit...Just a little bit - but still.

Just like all those glass lens elements get in the way too.... You make no sense.

I have found, and I feel that the SLT mirror increases image noise a bit - if compare to cameras without SLT mirror (but with same sensor). That " a stop gap" can be too much for someone, especially when there are a number of cameras without this technology.

And some of them are no better or worse than cameras with SLT. 4/3 ring a bell?

SLT technology is a compromise solution, with which you can live happily, if you don't think about it too much In other words: if you're not a perfectionist (unfortunately, many of the photographers are)...

That's the crux of it. For many if not most people it's a psychological thing. Not real at all. How many of those same people put a filter on their lens? How many of those people a few years ago had a DSLR with worse IQ than today's SLT cameras and thought they were the greatest.

In any case it is very clear that the SLT technology is temporary solution. Sooner or later the SLT mirror is going to be history...But before that I'm going to enjoy what I have now : a well-functioning SLT camera, a very useful tool for photography!!

You could say the same thing about the flipping, vibration inducing DSLR mirror. It's a temporary solution until something better comes along. Of course there are OVF proponents who will say any EVF in any camera is a compromise they find unacceptable.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
DeadNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow