Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stoppingdown
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?
Panoramic and HDR, not only in JPG
9 months ago

I'm resuming a sub-thread from the gigantic "Those 14 bits" thread that seems to have reached the max. number of posts...

stoppingdown wrote:

Oh, well, I'm asking myself what would be the cost of having the capability to save in-camera HDR or panoramics in DNG rather than JPG... From this point of view, I know pretty much industrial (not consumer) software design processes: you're always in a tight delivery time, if you put something in you have also to test it, and jettisoning anything that you presume is not mandatory is indeed a cost reduction. Instead, what I'm curious about is the value from the missing feature, both real and perceived.

Hello Fabrizio,

RAW (or DNG) files are limited to a single capture. Any images created from multiple image captures such as HDR or panoramas is by it's nature a processed image and therefore it is no longer RAW.

I didn't say that I want a RAW file for HDR or panoramic; I know that those two features substantially require demosaicing and some other processing in the camera. But I want that the resulting image has more quality in terms of bits and compression than a JPG. Forcing the JPG makes those two features pretty useless for people who want the most flexibility in post-processing.

With the 'DNG option' I mean that the camera should do only the minimum level of processing required to do the panorama or HDR (e.g. not applying sharpening, DRO, while level or other stuff). The DNG file should carry the relevant amount of RAW metadata for a pp application, such as Lightroom, to do the remainder part of post-processing; Sony could even implement the kind of compression they like.

-- hide signature --

Fabrizio Giudici
http://stoppingdown.net

stoppingdown's gear list:stoppingdown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow