Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chriskana
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Questions regarding a new iMac 27inch 3TB fusion
7 months ago

I apologize if some of these questions have been asked before, but my new iMac 27in/i7 quad core/nvidia 780/ 3TB fusion/8 gig RAM is finally going to arrive this week after being on back order for a while, and I am hoping to make my transition as smooth as possible.  My current machine is a ~2008 imac 20inch, 3 gig RAM, 2TB internal hard drive, and I have Time Machine backup to external LaCie 2TB hard drive. I currently have used ~1.5 TB of the 2 TB capacity of the internal HD, so running out of room.  Mostly it is filled with photos, I shoot RAW.

I currently use Lightroom 3, but plan to upgrade to 4 or 5 after receiving new iMac.  I occasionally use iPhoto, but only for syncing to Apple TV. Otherwise, exclusively LR.  I also have quite a bit of music on the current imac.

1. I plan to upgrade the memory myself fairly soon after receiving the computer, haven't decided how much though, but will at least double it. I think 32 gig is max?

2. It will not be shipped with Mavericks, don't know if there is any reason not to upgrade to Mavericks?

3. Given my setup, would you recommend using Time Machine to transfer all my old files/programs? Is there a better/faster way?  I have between 50,000 and 100,000 photos which need safe migration, plus LR info, a ton of music, and some videos, as well as some typical documents in word, excel, etc. Oh, I also have office for Mac. Is there a way to transfer everything without the corresponding install discs/product keys? Or will I need to dig them up out of the closet somewhere?

4. I'm sure I'll need to change the way I backup at some point in the future, as 3TB will not last long at the rate I shoot photos, but I think I'm safe for the next 6 months or year at least.  But at some point I guess I will need advice on what to do (RAID, etc).

5. Finally, I'm sure there are things I haven't thought about or anticipated, so if any of you have experience with what I'm about to go through, I appreciate your insights.

Thank you all in advance!

CK

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow