Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,578Gear list
Like?
Re: Is SLT dead or alive ?
In reply to kartikjayaraman, 11 months ago

kartikjayaraman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

The difference in AF speed is much more than a millisecond or two. It's big enough that it can make or break getting an in focus shot for sports or children playing. In low light the speed difference is quite obvious. The focusing accuracy with my 35mm f1.8 wide open is very good with both my A65 and A77. All in all my experience tells me you are incorrect on every one of your points. IMO the SLT is great and the 1/2 stop of light loss is insignificant and below iso 1600 has no effect on IQ.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

I was guessing this was going to happen. I think the reason is Sony is selling far more mirrorless cameras and users want image quality over other things. Now its not like the mirrorless camera AF is bad, its just slow as you mentioned so Sony might provide an SLT adapter for sports/action photography (like they do for the A7 which adds the SLT and PDAF)...and that should make both kinds of customers happy. Of course I don't know how they will do a A to A mount SLT addition...that would be interesting.

-- hide signature --

Mirrorless is about image quality over P&S and Phones not over DSLR/SLT class cameras.. in that case it is about size..

The SLT is a better overall system then the e-mount  but many users don't need or want that extra function.. heck may SLT users never use the extra function.  But Sony needs to offer it.

When the PD or other technology on sensor gets as good as PD off sensor... The mirror goes and good riddance.. but optical IBIS is not coming to e-mount.  (may come up with an electronic version)  However... even the size has value.. to many shooters.. like shooting large lenses etc.

Mirrorless AF is more accurate.. heck my focus peaking focus is more accurate than the PD AF.. but slow.. For landscapes.. and still life type photos and even group shots I am moving more and more to focus peaking    The EVF lets me do things like hyper focal images easier.. doing a large group shot.  AF can get me focus on anyone person I choose.. but it make not get focus from front to back.

I would like focus peaking in AF so I could check it.. I think that actually works in DMF on older screwmount lenses..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
DeadNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow