Is SLT dead or alive ?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,872Gear list
Like?
Re: Is SLT dead or alive ?
In reply to LeicaBOSS, 7 months ago

LeicaBOSS wrote:

...but you haven't missed those shots with an A7 or A7r, for example? Or a NEX-7? Right?

I've shot birds in flight with a Canon EOS-M, baseball and indoor dodgeball with a NEX-7, fast-paced street with an A7r. Never had significant miss rates with any of these. I also have an A77. I like it, too - but I'd be crazy to say that one should get significantly more shots in focus with it.

Just even a tiny bit of skill and technique, and nobody should be missing shots with any of these.

So, I'd hate to put it this way, but if you really can't nail nearly all of your shots with on-chip PDAF - as good as it is now - take the 1/2 stop and just practice just a little harder.

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

I have used a7 and a7r. The AF is fast, for a mirror-less camera (one uses focal plane PDAF as assist, the other uses algorithmic/predictive software based AF assist), and especially considering that they are with full frame sensors. However, they lack the speed when tracking/distance changes occur which is where SLT steps in.

SLT needs to stay until Sony finds a way to achieve at least similar performance without a mirror.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
DeadNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow