Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to Dan, 7 months ago

Dan wrote:

Tom - I guess I'd ask how often are you using that 75 f1.8? I recently tested an E-M1 with that lens and the 12-40 f2.8 and was quite impressed.

You should really think about what lens you would use with the Df and do "you" want to carry that pair around. When I switched from Olympus to Nikon I knew I'd never get certain zooms just because of the weight...and the only Nikon zoom I've held onto for any length of time was the 70-200. Now it's all primes for me.

Anyhow, good luck and I know the feeling of being out shooting in available light...it's a whole other world.

Have you given the E-M1 a good testing?

Dan

Hi Dan, yeah for the Df I imagine I would get a 50mm and an 85mm to get started. At the moment I love the pics you get from the 75mm 1.8 but being honest, its a little impractical for my uses and you have to force yourself to find uses for it (which can be fun). But I am actually thinking about selling hte 75mm to be able to put the proceeds towards the Df.

I am the same as you in terms of primes, love them. I dont have any particular interest in zooms, with the exception of a longer telephoto for airshows I like to go to.

I have tried the EM1 and its a lovely camera, but I just felt for the price, it wasnt sufficiently better than my EM5 which I have been delighted with. Particualrly as the EM5 is a fair bit smaller because of the ability to remove the grip. Nothing against the EM1, if I hadnt already had the EM5 i probably would have jumped at it. But for now, the EM5 I think will last me in terms of my m43 stuff.

Cheers
Tom

-- hide signature --
 tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow