Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261Gear list
Like?
All praise to the Hummingbird bif shooters
10 months ago

I rarely shoot birds or wildlife in general, and I'd never previously attempted to photograph hummingbirds, but a couple of weeks ago, at the end of a cruise from Cayenne in French Guiana, we had a few days in Costa Rica. Near Monteverde, there are some feeders set up to attract them from the cloud forest, and I couldn't resist trying my hand. I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but it was much harder than that. I now have a new respect for people who capture pin-sharp hummingbirds in flight in natural surroundings.

The problem is that even if you know they're going to visit the feeder, they rarely hover for more than a second or so, which is too short a time to spot them and focus. They're tiny (between 3" and 6" long), and very fast moving. So I had to pre-focus on a likely spot and hope to fire the shutter at the exact moment one hovered into view. I wanted a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the head, but not the wings. I also needed enough DoF to allow for the fact that there wouldn't be time to re-focus when one appeared.

The resulting images were then heavily cropped. Most of the shots were poor, I did manage to get one or two half decent ones (hopefully I've got the species right, but it was all done using a chart, not from personal knowledge):

Female Purple-throated Mountaingem

Green-crowned Brilliant

Violet Sabrewing

Female Purple-throated Mountaingem

Male Purple-throated Mountaingem

My turn!

Female Magenta-throated Woodstar at the feeder

Congestion!

Who's boss here, then?

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow